Sunday, February 06, 2005

Why Moms Barely Sleeping

Now, it's 1.15 am. I'm still awake. I just cleaned dishes. I just finished putting my daughter's toys altogether in her toy box (after she unloaded them, I cleaned, she unloaded, I cleaned, she unloaded... I gave up). My hubby and her have finally been sleeping like 4 hours ago. And all of sudden I remember my lovely mom.

When I was 16, I began to notice that my mother was never actually sleeping. AND when I found her sleeping, she found me watching her sleeping. She would then say "Oh, it's you", then she went sleeping again but short-time.

I've ever investigated on how many hours she actually slept. Ok, she woke up at 1am, checking home for a while (key locks, ME, my sisters and brother, etc) and pray Tahajud (in Islam, there is an optional night pray to be able to get closer to GOD and Insya Allah, get his blessing and grant your wishes). After that she read Yasin (from Qur'an) for at least 7 times in a row and dzikir (praising God) - that approximately took up to 2 hours. Then she usually fell asleep in the prayer carpet. An hour later, 4 am, she woke up, checked on home again and started cleaning until Subuh time arrived (the first mandatory pray of the day).

Then, her eyes kept open until around 11 pm.

So, everyday, she slept for around 1-2 hours only. Can you imagine?

That was a one day trip at home with mom, which the next day I felt extremely tired and was sleeping for more than 12 hours (Kebo aja memang!)

Lesson learn: RESPECT your mother, please. It's a 24 hour job of taking care of her family, including you, for God sake. Don't be so arrogant when you get your first job or just got a promotion. Trust me, it's completely NOTHING compared to what your mom does.

Do I start like my mom who still wake up in the middle of the nite, sometimes until wee hours, until 4 o'clock in the morning? Is it some kind of "A Gift from God" for mommies to be able to stay awake that long? Perhaps.

But God please forgive me! Instead of praying, I dating my laptop and watching TV - checking on what's happening outside my 1,300 sq feet apartment :):):):)

Plus, finish my write up (does it make any good of me?)

Peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment